[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Sun Mar 20 20:41:07 UTC 2011

Александр Кириллов wrote:

>>> And yes I started looking elsewhere and with reasonably priced offer
>>> from
>>> Oracle
>>> this project is probably dead in the water.
>>>
>> Hi AK,
>>
>> Why would you swing so radically in the other direction from free to
>> fee?
>>
>> Have you looked at SL?  They don't have 5.6 but seem to be on a stable
>> 6.0 rel.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I'm not actually looking for free.
> I'd gladly support the efforts of our "prominent North American Enterprise
> Linux vendor"
> with what little I have if their offers wouldn't be so ridiculously
> expensive.
> I hope the situation may change now with Oracle in direct competition with
> RH
> for RH and RH-based distros user base. BTW Oracle offers installable
> binaries for free.
> I didn't get into details yet but this sounds like a viable alternative.

<rant>
Scary how our society's ethics and decisions are driven by money.
Pay less money - must be better - right even.
So easy to forget the reason this debate turns up every 10 days or so
- Oracle and others have been free-loading on RH
and in order to survive RH had to take some action - action that in
large part
contributes to the delay so many complain about.
Why is it that we don't see the issue that really has driven all this -
A large
unethical corporation has taken a free ride on the open-source community
and stuffed it up for all of us.
The cost of doing all the things that RH does, and contributing so much to
the open-source community is paid for by those that need on-call support
and responsiveness.
Now along comes an unethical corporation that sees an opportunity to make
some more money - doing what is right doesn't come into the equation
As I said at the beginning of my rant - if it makes money it must be right -
if it looses money or makes less money it must be wrong.
Please don't put the blame in the wrong place - punish the real villain -
buy something other than oracle!
</rant>