[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Mon Mar 21 15:51:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, 21 Mar 2011, compdoc wrote:

>>> Not just Oracle.  Novell is actively pursuing Red Hat customers and
>>> offering to support their Red Hat installations cheaper than Read Hat
>>> does.  I know a large international technology company which buys RHEL
>>> licenses only for the first year and then switches to Novell for support
>>> after that.
>>
>> Does Novell provide their own updates (RHEL rebuilds) or how does this
>> exactly work ? I doubt Novell can redistribute RHEL binaries in this case.
>
> RHEL and opensuse are different - defferent kernels, different config files
> and slightly different locations for some config files.

Oh, really ? :-)

> It's not like one is a drop in replacement for the other, so it doesn't make
> sense to me that a business would buy RHEL support and then switch to
> opensuse.

Please read the previous posts again carefully and the link that was
provided:

     http://www.novell.com/products/expandedsupport/faq.html

Novell apparently provides (own rebuilt) updates to RHEL3, RHEL4 and RHEL5
for the purpose of supporting your setup for up to three years while you
are migrating those systems.

I guess this is a free service so you can stop paying Red Hat as soon as
you plan to migrate to SLES. But they expect you to migrate to SLES in the
next three years...

So this is not related to OpenSUSE.