[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

William Hooper whooperhsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 01:07:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/22/11 7:38 PM, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> You missed my point to the poster.  While Centos is my defacto
>> production OS, he mentioned switching to Ubuntu which is nothing like
>> RHEL.
>>
>> So I thought instead of going with such a diff paradigm, that using SL
>> might be more similar in tool set then Ubuntu.
>>

> But if the underlying issue is that Red Hat is intentionally making the rebuilds
> difficult, any derivative is going to be fragile.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell

The change doesn't make anything more difficult for rebuilds.

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

"We haven't at all restricted CentOS's ability to grab source code and
recompile it and clean-out trademarks and package it. It's just some
of the knowledge of the insides that we're hiding," he [Red Hat chief
technology officer Brian Stevens] explains. One longtime CentOS
developer agrees.

"I'll not lose sleep on the matter," CentOS co-founder Russ Herold
tells The Reg.

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2011-March/107338.html

"This should not impact building the kernel ... it might impact things
like the CentOSPlus Kernel or CentOS providing a "stop gap" kernel (in
the testing repo) while waiting for Red Hat to correct a problem and get
their kernel through engineering and then released."

--
William Hooper