[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Mar 23 03:22:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> SL did indeed release a 6.0 before CentOS.  For all of the other 25
> possible releases, SL released before CentOS on 5 of the 25 times.

Right, but as these numbers reveal, since June 2008 Scientific Linux is
closing the gap with CentOS (or rather, CentOS is slacking). You can
see this when comparing CentOS and RHEL release dates. Since June 2008
CentOS started having longer delays (source: Wikipedia)

     https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/CentOS

Where the average release delay was 25 days before June 2008, the average
release delay after June 2008 increased to 51 days, and I am not including
the already late CentOS 5.6 and CentOS 6.0 (otherwise it would be 62 days).

CentOS 4.8 (95 days late) and CentOS 5.3 (69 days late) have been the worst
delays. But now CentOS 5.6 is already at 69 days and CentOS 6.0 is past
133 days delay, an all time record (not counting CentOS 2 :-)).

So the trend is a decline in release speed and maybe we should lower our
expectations. CentOS users have been spoiled in the past.

Kind regards,