[CentOS] Some relevant information

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 13:56:34 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 03/23/2011 07:53 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>> Ouch. Johnny, I'd really like to replicate this error, but I just
>> don't have the visibility into your build configurations. Saying "it's
>> easy to do yourself" doesn't work, because there are subtleties in the
>> configurations, such as whether "mock" configurations use the older,
>> CentOS 5.5 release or the existing set up updated CentOS pre-release
>> 5.6 components, that can generate precisely this sort of issue.
>
> CentOS has it lined correctly ... it is SL that has it linked incorrectly.

Understood. I'd like to replicate or examine the error. "Building it
yourself", without that access to your unique build environment or a
way to gracefully replicate it, represents dozens or hundreds of
man-hours for each contributor who'd like to help. That's a little
hard to do right now.

> I have been building CentOS for 8 years Nico .. I do NOT need your help
> to build it.  I try to tell you how I build it, but you tell me I don't
> know what I am doing.

Ohh. Then I guess all the "requests for help" in the last few months
were looking for something else?

Johnny, I'm trying to help. I'm trying to get the ducks lined up to be
*able* to help, and not spend my time waddling around a little pond.

> If you want to use CentOS then use it.  Stop filling up the mailing
> lists with your trolling diatribe.
>
> Get this straight ... I do not need you to "TEACH" me anything about
> CentOS, the process used to build it, the process used to distribute it,
> how it originated, where it is moving to, or anything else about it.

Fine. Then show *US* how you're doing it. Publish the /etc/mock/ files
you use, and provide some visibibility to the bootstrapping you're
allegedly using for CentOS 6, and we'd love to help on this and future
releases. The build components in the "build" repository, for example,
are pretty old and clearly out of date. Point us to the current
versions, please!

I can't make you learn about source control, you apparently get by
without it. I'd be glad to help the other devs use it to make that
build structure available. You can actually use Dag Weier's work over
at RPMforge as a good example of it, and it does integrate well with
mock.