[CentOS] OFFTOPIC :: IB hardware choice

Tony Placilla aplacilla at jhu.edu
Wed Mar 23 15:49:41 UTC 2011

Hi! I would need an advice from those that use IB (as admins :) ) i have a choice between :
1. Mellanox InfiniHost(r) III Lx HCA card, single-port CX4, DDR, PCIe x8, mem-free, tall bracket, RoHS R5

2. QLogic Single Port 20 Gb InfiniBand to x16 PCI Express Adapter (Single Pack)

aside the price is there anything else that could help me make a discrimination between this two?
(these will be used in twin servers for a small (up to 24 nodes) parallel cluster) Thanks!
Adrian

I would be curious to know what the QLogic IB card is.  There was a version that was a Mellanox chip.  Those things were terrible.

If it's a model 7200 series I believe it's a qlogic chip known as either PathScale or TrueScale.  These chips perform WAY better than the InfiniHost chips.  Especially if you use an MPI library that is able to make use of QLogic's now open source PSM stuff.

--

Tony Placilla <aplacilla at jhu.edu>