[CentOS] Remote-logging nginx? (or other non-syslog-enabled stuff)

Dr. Ed Morbius dredmorbius at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:53:32 UTC 2011

on 20:19 Fri 25 Mar, Ilyas -- (umask00 at gmail.com) wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Also note that:
> 1. logrotate wouldn't rotate fifo/pipes if options `notifempty'
> enabled in logrotate profiles.
> 2. enable buffering in syslog-ng.conf (next - whole list of options in
> my config):
> options {
>         sync (128);
>         time_reopen (10);
>         log_fifo_size (16384);
>         chain_hostnames (yes);
>         use_dns (no);
>         use_fqdn (yes);
>         create_dirs (yes);
>         keep_hostname (yes);
>         dir_perm(0755);
>         perm(0644);
>         dir_owner(root);
>         dir_group(root);
>         owner(root);
>         group(root);
>         log_msg_size(16384);
> };
> 3. Don't worry about blocking output in some services. If syslog-ng
> listen fifo locally (in the same server/vps where working daemon which
> logs we want serve) any output will be buffered (with few limits of
> free version of syslog-ng) in syslog-ng. Main idea here is that other
> side which listen fifo - locally runned syslog-ng.

My concern with buffering / blocking output has more to do with some
critical service saying "wups, no more serving until I can flush my log
buffers" than it does losing a few lines of logging periodically (though
that should also be minimized).

> 4. I used and using opensource version of syslog-ng and no have
> problems with load. Syslog-ng is very perfect tool for loads.

<...>

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power