[CentOS] Mounting an external USB drive

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 13:46:59 UTC 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM, Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011, Todd Cary wrote:
>
>> With Centos 5.5, my external USB drive appears to self mount in
>> that the icon appears on the desktop and when I double click on
>> it, the files are there.  However, I recall that I need to make
>> an entry in the fstab as well as some other changes.
>>
>> When I do a
>>
>> # /sbin/fdisk -l
>>
>> I learn that the device is /dev/sda1 and the system is HPFS/NTFS
>>
>> I am not sure what to enter into the file system table, fstab and
>> if other entries/directories need to be made.
>
> If it is mounted, why would you need to make fstab entries? The system already
> knows enough to make it useful.
>
> Regards,

USB drive detection has gotten better. If you'd like to see what it's
currently mounted as, look in /etc/mtab. You should see its contents
in "/media/[whatever]", where whatever depends on the type and any
associated names of the contents of the media. /etc/mtab should give
you the basic settings for /etc/fstab, with a bit of tweaking, but I
urge you not to rely on /etc/fstab for default mounting: review the
use of the "noauto" if you need to, in order to allow you to mount it
only on request.