[CentOS] My new server

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Sat Mar 26 20:08:13 UTC 2011

Am 26.03.2011 um 20:55 schrieb John R Pierce:

> On 03/26/11 12:51 PM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
>> Use VLAN-trunks.
>
> someone using a $350 micro server as his ADSL gateway is highly
> unlikely
> to have layer 2 managed switches capable of handling VLANs.

E.g. the HP Procurve 1800-8G is quite cheap.
I think I paid <200 USD for it.

It's no longer sold, but you can pick it up at ebay.
Fanless.

I took a look at the NL36 server the OP mentioned - and it actually
does look quite decent.
Maybe not for number-crunching.
But for low-end stuff, it looks OK.
You might even be able to run e.g. Zimbra on it (with RAM maxed out).

Of course, regular backups are highly recommended - but given that,
and the 3year on-site warranty also available,
it looks to be a good for home-use.