[CentOS] Virtualization platform choice

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Sun Mar 27 21:30:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 14:21:45 -0700
David Brian Chait <dchait at invenda.com> wrote:

> The two things that always comes to mind when I am considering a
> virtualization solution is extent of tool set/support, and the general
> acceptance of the technology. For those two reasons I nearly always
> implement VMware, it has a mature set of tools, a wide range of
> functionality, and sits at a very manageable price point. No true open
> source solution really comes close, you can approximate parts of it, but
> in the end it turns into a support issue that can pose a significant
> headache.

True.

I've deployed Virtuozzo for a large web hosting company and found it
superior to vmware in about every aspect that mattered in a web hosting
environment.

OpenVZ on the other hand is about at the same level as xen, kvm and
similiar opensource solutions. Well, not so much a solution, but a building
block to help you build your own solution to your particular problem.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org