[CentOS] Virtualization platform choice

Jure Pečar pegasus at nerv.eu.org
Sun Mar 27 22:45:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 01:26:38 +0300
Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:

> > The same is true for solutions like vmware. Just google for all the
> > "blue pill" talks. It's a theoretical risk that is small enough to be
> > irrelevant.
>
> WebServers running buggy php software provides (easy) way to execute
> local kernel exploits.

Yes and I've dealt with my share of them. None ever exploited some
virtuozzo vulnerability. In fact many of them failed because they were run
on a VPS.

I trust the russian guys to know their way with C code and kernel fu.
That's why many of the virtuozzo core parts are becoming part of the linus
tree, cgroups being just one of the top of my head.

See, there's even a nice wiki article:
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Virtualization/OpenVZ

I understand that vmware has much stronger marketing machine, however that
does not mean that their technology is somehow better. Their offer is a
reasonable choice for many scenarios in IT, mass web hosting is
unfortunately not one of them. As any competent admin will tell you, use
the right tool for the right job. It's good to have choice.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org