[CentOS] centos server network speed check???

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Mar 29 16:07:14 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:25:26 am Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 3/29/2011 9:50 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > I had lots of devices just give up under the sustained 5Mb/s multicast load.
>
> I assume that was back in 10Mb/s ethernet days?

No; but the devices in question have 10Mb/s NIC chips.  That's all that's needed for a single-port RS-232 terminal server, or a remote weather station.  Just have to filter multicast and rate limit broadcasts.  The backbone is gigabit, and the switches all have either 10/100/1000 or 10/100 ports.

No, that event happened two weeks ago, thanks to a misbehaving megapixel IP camera.