[CentOS] OT: google voice + chat <- Re: finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]>

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Tue Mar 29 18:35:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:17:58PM -0400, ken wrote:
> > On 03/29/2011 01:21 PM Stephen Harris wrote:
> >> phone line.  Indeed I just wrote up a process :-)
> >>   http://sweh.spuddy.org/gvoice/
> >>
> >> But I think that's getting a little off-topic :-)

> Just read your webpage.  It answered my one question and a couple others
> I didn't ask.
>
> It's not what I'm looking for right now, but way cool enough that I'll
> have to check it out anyway.  I didn't know a VoIP <-> POTS appliance
> could be had for $30.  Last I checked (some years ago) just a card was
> something like $1000.  How much is an actual phone number these days...

Line cards for PCs are still pretty expensive.  They tend to be bespoke
and modular (eg the PCIx card is essentially a carrier, with 4 or more
plugin components).  Also some of these cards need telecoms approval
because they may plug into POTS, which adds to the cost.  Simple ATAs
are network-only equipment and so may not need regulatory approvals and
so are cheaper.

> if I don't care for google voice?

Normal phone numbers?  Depends on your provider.  Verizon may charge
up to $50/month, depending on the service you get.  VOIP providers such
as Vonage charge $10/month (200 minutes/month) to $25/month (unlimited).

--

rgds
Stephen