[CentOS] OT: google voice + chat <- Re: finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]>

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Tue Mar 29 20:32:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:52:16PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 3/29/2011 1:37 PM, Stephen Harris wrote:
> > Exactly correct.  It also works the other way; pick up the phone and
> > dial a number and asterisk routes it via google chat so you get your
> > free US calls and cheap international calls.
>
> Do you know if asterisk (freeswitch, 2600hz, etc.) can do this over
> bluetooth?  I've seen some base stations with wireless extensions that
> can connect to a landline and/or pair with a bluetooth phone that would
> ordinarily be your cell, but it would be kind of neat if it could be
> asterisk without the ATA intermediate or even a direct hardware connection.

In my mind, it'd be very unlikely that Asterisk would talk bluetooth
directly; that's not the Linux way.  Instead you'd probably want to
make your BlueTooth phone pair to the Linux server, and create an IP
connection between the two, and then use any SIP client on the phone.

But I could be wrong :-)   I'm an asterisk newbie!

--

rgds
Stephen