[CentOS] OT: google voice + chat <- Re: finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]>

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:55:19 UTC 2011

On 3/30/11 6:04 AM, ken wrote:

> On 03/29/2011 05:23 PM Les Mikesell wrote:
>>
>>> What tames my enthusiasm about bluetooth though is its maximum range is
>>> said to be 20'.  Gimme a wifi phone.
>>
>> That was the point of the base station with wireless handsets.  I've
>> seen those with 3 or 4 handsets for well under $100.  They are intended
>> to be used as house extensions while your cell phone is charging near
>> the base.  And at least some take a landline too.
>
> Les,
>
> I'm not understanding the role your cellular phone is playing here.

That's just what the base station with remote extensions are designed to use
because they are common.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-TG7623B-Bluetooth-Cordless-3-Handset/dp/tech-data/B004N4MH14/ref=de_a_smtd

Maybe I misunderstood - I thought they could use the cell phone's connection for
calls, and you could possibly replace that with a GV->asterisk-bluetooth path
but maybe these go the other way and use the cell phones as extensions.

This description does sound like it uses the cell's in/outbound connection:
http://www.frys.com/product/5916034

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com