[CentOS] Controlling the order of /dev/sdX devices?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Thu Mar 31 16:57:00 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:33 PM, Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 8:46 AM, Nick <oinksocket at letterboxes.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I hope you are aware that you are using a very obsolete OS with a lot of
> >> known (i.e. exploitable) security holes and bugs that have subsequently
> >> been fixed.
> >
> > Do you really mean "OS" - i.e. CentOS 5.4?   I would guess you are merely
> > referring to the kernel, 2.6.18-164el5PAE.
>
> You would seriously want to go through all the security updates that
> came out after 2009-09-02 and assess the vulnerability of your CentOS
> 5.4 system:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-server-errata-security.html
>
> Akemi

I don't think the OP asked how secure, or in-secure, his system is. So
please try and keep on-topic?

@Cal,

You could assign a LABEL to each hard drive. The LABEL is attached to the
drive's UID (I think?) so even if you move the drive to anther port it will
still be accessible via the same LABEL

Look here: http://lissot.net/partition/ext2fs/labels.html
--
Kind Regards