[CentOS] RFC: video call recommendations

Wed Mar 2 21:23:55 UTC 2011
Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, Eero Volotinen wrote:

> From: Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] RFC: video call recommendations
>
> 2011/3/2  <m.roth at 5-cent.us>:
>> I run CentOS at home, not just at work... Anyway, I've got a friend in
>> Chicago who recently mentioned that they'd like to do videocalling. Now,
>> I've heard of skype, but a quick google says there's some problems on
>> Linux. I also see ekiga, and aMSN.

I'm running Skype on Centos 5.5 OK without any problems :)

skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2

Which you can get from here:

http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/get-skype/on-your-computer/linux/post-download/

Click on the 'Static' version below OpenSuse 11+ to download
the tar.bz2 file.

This is just a compressed static executable skype binary,
with supporting files, so it does not affect the RPM
package database.

Unpack the bz2 file, and follow the installation
instructions under:

/skype_static-2.1.0.81/README

I had to modify the path to the Skype icon in the
/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop file, so XFCE4 can
find Skype's application icon:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Skype
Comment=Skype Internet Telephony
Exec=skype
Icon=/usr/share/skype/avatars/Skype.png
Terminal=0
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Categories=Network;Application;

Under XFCE4 desktop, Skype can be found at:

Xfce Menu->Network->Skype

HTH

Keith

Websites: