[CentOS] virtualization on the desktop a myth, or a reality?

Thu Mar 3 12:02:00 UTC 2011
Always Learning <centos at g7.u22.net>

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 06:43 -0500, Kevin K wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2011, at 6:38 AM, Always Learning wrote:
>
> > My dual-booting, actually tri-booting, with Vista (ugh!), Centos
> > (brilliant) and Fedora 14 (not keen and a bit seriously buggy) allows me
> > in Linux to access and change the file space content used by the other
> > two operating systems.  Surely that constitutes simultaneous access to
> > storage?
> >

> If you are tri-booting, how are you accessing the file systems of the other
> OS's "at the same time"?  Don't you have to reboot to change OS's?

No re-booting is necessary when running Centos 5.5. Besides I am 'lazy'
and hate re-booting because it so time wasting.

On one machine running Centos 5.5 I have in /etc/fstab

/dev/sda5	/nos.f14	ext4	auto	0 0

/nos.f14 is a pre-created, but empty, directory used as the mounting
point for, in this instance, Fedora 14.

On another machine (the tri-boot machine) I also run Centos 5.5 and in
that /etc/fstab I have

/dev/sda3	/z-vista/	ntfs-3g	auto,umask=0000,defaults 0 0
/dev/sda7	/z-fedora/	ext4	defaults	1 2

The z-vista and z-fedora are empty root directories used as mounting
points. Obviously you can use any name you prefer.

Being honest I have to point-out that I can not remember what the 0 0 or
the 1 2 actually mean.

It works. I can access and change the Vista 'drive' contents and the
also the entire Fedora 'drive'. If I wanted to access, on that machine,
Vista's two extra drives (System & Resources) then I would add
to /etc/fstab something like

/dev/sda1	/z-system/	ntfs-3g	auto,umask=0000,defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2	/z-resources/	ntfs-3g	auto,umask=0000,defaults 0 0

Hope that helps.

With best regards,

Paul.
England,