[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Thu Mar 3 22:40:06 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com>

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Sean Carolan <scarolan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You wouldn't by any chance be using PuTTY to access the session?  If
>> so, you may need to play around with the terminal settings including
>> the scroll type so that it displays correctly.  I don't recall the
>> specifics but a similar thing happened to me.
>
> Actually, no I'm using gnome-terminal on Ubuntu 10.10.  I wonder if
> it's due to the fact that I'm ssh-ing to other machines within each
> screen window?  Sometimes I will do this if I have a dozen servers to
> work on at the same time, I have a little script that spawns a new ssh
> session to each box in separate windows.
[...]

Yes, this is probably the reason.  I would guess that you see the same
behavior if you are directly sshed into a server not going through
screen.  My guess is that since screen isn't running directly on the
host creating the output, it cannot reflow correctly since that output
has already been printed out.

You can see this on a raw ssh session (no screen) if you run "ls -l"
on a really small window (40 chars wide) and then resize it.  The 'ls'
output will not automatically rewrap itself.  If you then try the same
experiment when running screen, after you resize the output will
rewrap correctly.