[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Fri Mar 4 00:46:35 UTC 2011
Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com>

on 18:10 Thu 03 Mar, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> Don't knock it until you've tried it.  A full GUI desktop, even mostly
> >> hosting a bunch of terminal windows is a lot more comfortable place to
> >> work than a screen session
> >
> > I use screen *very* extensively, including locally.  It works quite
> > well.
>
> I've forgotten - does a vi session in screen window resize correctly
> like it does in an xterm if you want to change it?

Yes.  Assuming your termcap library/ies are consistent.

> > I run Linux locally, not just remotely.
>
> NX works on Linux too. But 'locally' to me means a bunch of different
> machines.

I'm aware of that.  However the power of tunneled X sessions (when
necesary) and ssh (when not) makes having a full-desktop tool (NX, VNC,
etc.) markedly less attractive.

> >> I almost never log in directly at a linux console anymore and if I
> >> need to do something from home or remotely, I just pick the session
> >> that was my last desktop at work.
> >
> > What's your desktop system?
>
> Mostly windows at work, mac at home, but sometimes I'll be at a linux
> console and pick up the session there too.

That would explain a lot of your perspective.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power