[CentOS] Load balancing...

Fri Mar 4 00:51:06 UTC 2011
David Brian Chait <dchait at invenda.com>

> Can anyone help me hash out how best to load balance a website that is getting considerable traffic?  In the past I only have experience with
> BigIP where you have a load balancing device that keeps track and send traffic to the best server possible at the time. This was a proprietary
> system that I think was something Dell rebranded.

Does the app require session state maintenance (sticky connections)? If so then round robin DNS would essentially break your application. There are a lot of low cost load balancing solutions out there that would do a far better job in a production environment...see:

http://www.kemptechnologies.com

and

http://www.loadbalancer.org/

Both offer devices in the sub-$2,000 range.

-David