[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Fri Mar 4 18:20:12 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 3/4/2011 8:15 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> I do like the way gnome collapses the icons in the task bar when you
>>> have enough of them - and pops up the list so you can see it.  It
>>> makes it easy to find the terminal session connected to some
>>> particular remote host.
>>
>> WindowMaker has a windowlist.  Even better.  I usually last 1-4 hours
>> when I periodically try GNOME.  KDE and XFCE I might last a few days.
>> Then it's back to the One True Window Manager.
>
> I don't care about the mechanism so much as having everything I do on one
> screen, under one window manager.  So all of my terminal sessions collapse in
> one place that becomes a popup list.  Likewise all of my firefox windows (and
> for this reason I like separate windows better than tabs).

The reason I like this might not be clear if you don't use Gnome much.
It's a combination of the way gnome-terminal puts usr at host:/path in the
window title bar and keeps it updated when you ssh to compatible
systems, and the way the Gnome desktop collapses many task bar items
into one for each application when enough are open at once.   I end up
with a 'Gnome-terminal (count)' task bar item that when clicked pops up
the list of window titles making it easy to go back to anywhere I
already have a connection by yanking that screen to the front.  Firefox
does the same by putting the page names in the collapsed list which is
easier to use than tabs within a screen.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com