[CentOS] Centos 6

Sat Mar 5 00:49:55 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 04.03.2011 13:50, schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
>
>> Re-install, not upgrade. Components with the same name compiled for
>> different systems will occur, and may wind up presenting fascinating
>> incompatibilities.
>
> Can you elaborate?
> RHEL5's and C5's packages were known to be interchangeable.
> Without having tried it RHEL6/SL6 this is FUD.
>

>> I've written tools to turn an RHEL 5 box to CentOS 5, and back. It's a
>> pain and I don't recommend it.
>
> For how many boxes do you need to do this?
> I did this with some boxes and never run into issues.
>
> Rainer

I don't need to, anymore. I did it as a proof of concept for a few
hosts of different architecute, offering to do it  for a Beowulf
cluster of roughly 100 hosts while we were arguing about licensing
costs with upper management. This was a ways back, but the integration
of yum for RHEL 4 was a particular adventure.