[CentOS] CentOS and Marvell SAS/SATA drivers

Sun Mar 6 18:18:23 UTC 2011
Chuck Munro <chuckm at seafoam.net>

On 03/06/2011 09:00 AM, compdoc wrote:

>> >Regarding the Marvell drivers, I had good luck with the 'sata_mv' driver
>> >in Scientific Linux 6 just yesterday, running a pair of 4-port PCIe-x4
>> >Tempo 'Sonnet' controller cards.
> Are those the Mac/Windows Sonnet cards that go for less than $200?
>
> What kind of performance you seeing? Are you doing software raid on them?

Yes, those are the cards which target Windows and OS-X, but they work
fine on Linux as well.  They use the Marvell 88SX series chips.

They control 6 2TB WD Caviar Black drives, arranged as 5 drives in a
RAID-6 array with one hot spare.  3 drives are connected to each of two
cards.  mdstat shows array re-sync speed is usually over 100 MBytes/sec
although that tends to vary quite a bit over time.

> ------------------------------
> On 03/06/2011 09:00 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
>
> On 03/05/11 7:01 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>> >
>> >  areca works..
>> >

> for SAS, I prefer LSI Logic.

The Supermicro mobo I'm using (X8DAL-3) has an on-board LSI 1068E
SAS/SATA controller chip, although I have the RAID functionality
disabled so I can use it as a bunch of drives for software RAID-6.  Like
the Tempo cards, it has 6 2TB WD SATA drives attached which provides a
second set of arrays.

Performance really sucks, for some unknown reason, and I get lots of I/O
error messages logged when the drives get busy.  There appears to be no
data corruption, just a lot of retries that slow things down significantly.

The LSI web site has no info about the errors.  The firmware is passing
back I/O abort code 0403 and LSI Debug info related to "channel 0 id 9".
  There are only 8 ports so I don't know which disk drive may or may not
be causing problems.  The SMART data on all disks shows no issues,
although I tend to treat some SMART data with scepticism.

I need to track this error down because my understanding is that the LSI
controller chip has very good performance.

Chuck