[CentOS] /etc/hosts - hostname alias for 127.0.0.1

Mon Mar 7 16:45:33 UTC 2011
Alexander Arlt <centos at mailman.track5.de>

Am 03/07/2011 05:34 PM, schrieb Sean Carolan:
> Can anyone point out reasons why it might be a bad idea to put this
> sort of line in your /etc/hosts file, eg, pointing the FQDN at the
> loopback address?
>
> 127.0.0.1    hostname.domain.com hostname   localhost localhost.localdomain

First, if your host is actually communicating with any kind of ip-based
network, it is quite certain, that 127.0.0.1 simply isn't his IP
address. And, at least for me, that's a fairly good reason.

Second, sendmail had the habit of breaking if your hostname was mapped
to 127.0.0.1, but I stopped using sendmail a decade ago, so I can't
verify this. :)