[CentOS] sata drives and controlers

Wed Mar 9 04:44:14 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Michel Donais <donais at telupton.com> wrote:
> I intend to replace fading SCSI drive by a SATA one.
> The motherboard is PCI and no SATA controller on board.
> So I need a SATA/PCI  controller.
>
> Is there something wrong to do this kind of switch?
> Some told me that I won't be able to boot that drive.
> Loosing part of the SATA interface speed is not a decisive factor on this
> machine
> Is there are  some prefered Linux SATA controller?
>
> Need experienced feedbacks.

This is *not* a CentOS specific question. But some of us have been there.

I'm going to urge you to, instead of replacing anything, backup your
SCSI drive to an external or separate NFS repository,and do a clean
rebuild on a new SATA drive. The Adaptec 2140 series of controllers
are pretty good and pretty well Linux supported, and pretty cheap.

If that's not feasible, talk to us. It'll take some fascinating
configuration changes to mirror things, but gods know I've done that.