[CentOS] Server hangs on CentOS 5.5

Wed Mar 9 18:59:56 UTC 2011
Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com>

on 11:52 Wed 09 Mar, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:
> On 3/9/2011 11:32 AM, Michael Eager wrote:

> Memory diagnostics may take days to catch a problem.  Did you check for
> a newer bios for your MB?  I mentioned before that it seemed strange,
> but I've seen that fix mysterious problems even after the machines had
> previously been reliable for a long time (and even more oddly, all the
> machines in the lot weren't affected).

BIOS issues would tend to present similar issues on numerous systems,
especially if they're similarly configured.

Mind:  we've encountered a DSTATE bug with recent Dell PowerEdge systems
(r610, r410, r310), which has resulted in several BIOS revisions, the
latest of which simply disables the option entirely.  It's one of the
first things Dell techs mention when you call them these days (much to
our amusement).

If it's a single system (and assuming there are others similarly
configured), I'm leaning toward hardware or build-quality issues:  bad
RAM, other componentry, poor cable seating, etc.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power