[CentOS] Creating the symbolic links in the /boot and /boot/grub/

Wed Mar 9 21:03:18 UTC 2011
Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch>

> And here are the contents of grub.conf:
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to
> this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hdc
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.9-100.EL)
>      root (hd0,0)
>      kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-100.EL ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>      initrd /initrd-2.6.9-100.EL.img

OK, the file listing of /boot from your last mail and now grub.conf, they
look quite good. grub.conf has been updated by the kernel update, and also
a new initrd-2.6.9-100.EL.img has been created, so that doesn't look bad.

The only thing I'm not really sure is if grub is installed correctly now.
Maybe you have to run grub-install again to be sure but I'm just not so
sure about grubs internals. Maybe someone can tell you more about this.

As someone else mentioned, it's a very good idea to have a current CentOS
4.8 disk at hand so you could boot into rescue mode with 'linux rescue' at
the boot prompt if somethings goes wrong.

Simon