[CentOS] Which file system to use for a USB backup

Wed Mar 9 23:16:39 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 3/9/2011 4:56 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> I have some photographs on my Centos 4 server that I want to copy
> to a USB drive.  However, I want to be able to access the files
> from Windows or Mac OS's.  Where should I look for instructions
> on how to mount and format the USB drive and is FAT32 the only
> option?

After plugging it in, use 'dmesg' to see the device name that was just
added and mount it wherever you want.  Maybe you should think about
switching to Centos 5 (or 6 soon...) which should automount on the desktop.

Fat32 is the only thing that will 'just work' across the different OS's
and it is OK unless you are handling files >4GB.  But don't you have a
network for that sort of thing?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com