[CentOS] Server hangs on CentOS 5.5

Thu Mar 10 00:04:00 UTC 2011
Michael Eager <eager at eagerm.com>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> As far as I can see you were giving a bucked load of advice, which you
> haven't even bothered to follow yet. You're the only one who could
> actually do anything about the problem.

I have followed quite a bit of the advice, which I have
appreciated and noted.  I've set up the monitor so that it
will not be blanked on a crash, installed monitoring software,
and checked a number of conditions which people have suggested.

No, I have not responded to the philosophical discussions
about vender management, nor to the suggestions to RMA
something to somebody for unknown reasons.  No, I'm not
going to replace RAM or capacitors here and there on the off
chance that something might be bad.  (But I will look for
capacitors which show signs of bulging or leaking.)

> No amount of suggestions made on this list will fix the problem for
> you. You need to actually take apart the server and see what's going
> on.

I wasn't interested in anyone fixing the server for me.
I did ask for suggestions on how improve the diagnostics
for the problem, which several people have responded to.
Again, I appreciate their suggestions greatly.

As I've said, I have a list of things to check when the
server is next taken down.

Michael Eager	 eager at eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077