[CentOS] [Newbie] Reclaiming /boot space

Thu Mar 10 03:03:26 UTC 2011
Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com>

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com> wrote:
> on 15:49 Wed 09 Mar, Keith Keller (kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us) wrote:

>> > It doesn't?
>> >
>> >     rpm -Uvh <packagelist>
>>
>> Creating the package list is what yum does automatically; using rpm
>> directly means creating a list of URLs or downloading rpms
>> individually.
>
> See my other recent post to this thread for how that's done.
>
> Essentially:  use RPM to generate a list of all packages.  List all
> files in those packages.  Filter for files on /boot.  Identify the
> packages with files on /boot.   Reinstall those packages.
>
> It's a shell one-liner.

The packages, as of the last night's cron jobs, are typically in
"/var/log/rpmpkgs", generated by the "/etc/cron.daily/rpm" script.
That script is not mandatory and does not seem to be in RHEL 6 nor
will it therefore be in CentOS 6, but lord, it's useful in this kind
of situation. It's also much faster to parse, than manually issuing
"yum" commands.