[CentOS] Mumble gamers' VOIP server (murmur)

Tue Mar 15 19:07:54 UTC 2011
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:39 AM +0000 Michael Simpson
<mikie.simpson at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is a great write up in the section "tips and tricks" on the
> mumble website for installing it on CentOS
> google knows about it
> it involves using the static build from sourceforge and extracting the
> conf and init files from the mandriva rpm then adding the necessary
> group and user
> works a treat and "free-er" than teamspeak 3

In fact that's where I started in creating my RPM. But the technique
displayed there just manually installs all the files. It doesn't put them
in the RPM database so that the files are tracked. The RPM I created
essentially performs all the tasks described in the Tip, but it uses the
Fedora RPM instead of the Mandriva one (should be a better match to
CentOS), and the result is an RPM, not a raw installation.

BTW, I found that the initscript included in the Fedora RPM launches the
server as root instead of mumble-server (unprivileged user) and murmur must
drop privs once started. This causes the log file and sqlite DB to be
created owned by root, which causes problems later. The fix is to use the
--user option in the initscript. I need to cut another SRPM to address that.