[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 does not recognise SAS drives with LSI 1068E Controller

Wed Mar 16 15:19:04 UTC 2011
Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com>

I have now partially solved my problem:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Peter Peltonen <peter.peltonen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to do a new CentOS net install on a new server having the
> Supermicro X7DVL-3 motherboard:

[...]

> So I assume the controller is not supported and I need a binary driver
> for it. For 1068e it should be:

I received the driver image megasr-13.17.0421.2010-1-rhel50-u5-all.img
from the hardware vendor and was able to use it as the driver disk for
installation.

Upgrading the kernel issue is still unresolved though:

> And what happens if I get the driver installed and then the server's
> kernel is updated? Do I need reinstall the driver somehow?

After updates the system is unable to boot with the new kernel as it
cannot find the megasr driver.

What shoudl I do? Does the megasr module for the old kernel also work
with the new kernel => do I need to copy it somewhere and create an
initrd  image including that module? Or do I need to find an updated
megasr module from somewhere?

Best regards,
Peter