[CentOS] respawning apache on centos

Thu Mar 17 20:09:48 UTC 2011

Dave Stevens wrote:

> Periodically my ssh access and http access slow dramatically and I get out
> of memory when trying to do rudimentary stuff like ls. I've been advised by
<snip>
> is fine. It takes several minutes before the site is really usable. I now
> have 22 apache instances out of 66 total processes, which seems excessive.
>
> One site hosted, running drupal 7, 1.5G RAM lots of disk spece, two cores,
> Xeon based host. I don't know if this is an apache issue or CentOS related
> or what.
>
> Ideas? Debugging I can do?

For one thing, I'd strongly urge you to add at least another .5G RAM, if
not 2.5G. Second, look at the apache configuration, and see how many
workers it can use - you might want to lower the limit.

Also, what's your connection to the 'Net like, and how heavily is your
website being hit?

> When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and
> carrying a cross.
>
> - Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here, 1935

It's happened here.

          mark