[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Mon Mar 21 20:38:32 UTC 2011
compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com>

>I guess this is a free service so you can stop paying Red Hat as soon as
>you plan to migrate to SLES. But they expect you to migrate to SLES in the
>next three years.
>
> So this is not related to OpenSUSE.

When I said opensuse, I was referring to suse. Sorry.

The problem I have is that RHEL and SLES are different enough that it's no
small thing for a business to make the change.

I'm guessing RHEL 6 and SUSE 11 are at least equal in quality. (I haven't
tried either of them) Cost of subscription for each seems close.

So it doesn't make sense that a business would switch - unless maybe the
support from Red Hat wasn't great, or if RHEL 6 wasn't great.

I do know that centos 5.5 is great, which in my mind, reflects on Red Hat's
ability to produce an excellent product. And they certainly provide releases
and updates in a timely manner. So Red Hat isn't resting on its laurels.

Are there that many Red Hat customers ready to jump ship? Does their support
suck?

I think both companies should concentrate on providing a good product and
decent service, and not waste time on trying to thwart the competition's
efforts to provide service to customers.

If they all start trying to hinder each other, it seems the beginning of a
war. And the only ones to suffer are IT and the communities. (in other
words, the innocent)