[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Tue Mar 22 22:49:02 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 03/20/2011 05:02 PM, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2011, at 1:52 PM, William Warren wrote:

>>> Or, maybe there was back in the days when they released source that
>>> matched
>>> their binaries...  Personally, I think everyone would be better off
>>> today if
>>> they had turned their back on anything RH-related the day they
>>> stopped
>>> permitting redistribution of their binaries among the community
>>> that created
>>> them and made them usable in the first place.  I was too lazy to
>>> change and
>>> Centos made it look reasonable to leave things approximately the
>>> same.  But, now
>>> that RH is putting the screws on anyone who doesn't pay up it is
>>> probably time
>>> for anyone who cares about free software to rethink things.
>>>
>> exactly.  Nothing against Centos but I've deployed my last RH based
>> box.  It'll be either Debian or Ubuntu from now on.
>
> I don't get it, why so radical?
>
> Why not go SL and maintain the same methodology?

Not that it matters, but the last time I checked, SL had not released
their 4.9 or 5.6 releases either.  I am not sure what you are trying to
accomplish here.

SL is a fine product and people can use it if they want, but lets not
pretend that they are releasing every point release before CentOS.

In fact, I would suggest that someone check the release dates for all
version 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x releases for both CentOS and SL (I'll include
it in this post)

SL did indeed release a 6.0 before CentOS.  For all of the other 25
possible releases, SL released before CentOS on 5 of the 25 times.

Here is the list:

	CentOS	           SL
3.1	03/19/04	05/10/04
3.2	NR	        06/28/04
3.3	09/17/04	10/01/04
3.4	01/10/05	02/13/05
3.5	06/09/05	07/26/05
3.6	10/31/05	NR
3.7	04/10/06	05/27/06
3.8	08/25/06	08/02/06
3.9	07/26/07	10/12/07

4.0	03/02/05	04/21/05
4.1	06/15/05	08/26/05
4.2	10/13/05	12/03/05
4.3	03/21/06	05/08/06
4.4	08/30/06	10/10/06
4.5	05/18/07	06/26/07
4.6	12/16/07	03/12/08
4.7	09/13/08	09/03/08
4.8	08/22/09	07/21/09
4.9	03/02/11	NR

5.0	04/12/07	05/07/07
5.1	12/02/07	01/16/08
5.2	06/24/08	06/28/08
5.3	04/01/09	03/19/09
5.4	10/21/09	11/05/09
5.5	05/15/10	05/19/10
5.6	NR	        NR

Don't get me wrong, SL is a good build and I highly recommend it ... but
they do not beat CentOS on releases by months as seems to be insinuated
here in the last couple of weeks.