[CentOS] Centos 5.5 and Canon PIXMA 7600 multifunction printer/scanner/fax

Thu Mar 24 20:23:18 UTC 2011
Louis Lagendijk <louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl>

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 16:25 -0400, Boris Epstein wrote:
> Hello listmates,
>
> xsane on Ubuntu 10 finds that Canon PIXMA via the web and seems to be
> able to make use of it without a glitch. However, Centos machines
> sitting on the same net fail to find it. Does anybody know why?
Ubuntu probably has a newer version of Sane that includes the bjnp
network support. If i remember correctly my bjnp support was added in
sane 1.0.19 (may have been 1.0.20). If you really need it, just rebuild
a recent Fedora sane. Printing should work if you use the cups-bjnp
package from EPEL if you can find a working printer driver. If needed, I
can provide you a rebuilt sane-backends(-libs) (ok, done, see
www.fazant.net/sane). I quickly hacked the Fedora spec file (removed the
dep on i4l-devel and changed the version-ed dependency on udev to an
unversioned one).It works on my MP980, the replacement for the MP970
which I used to develop the network support for Canon scanners.
I am not sure that the hack for udev is correct, but you don't need udev
for the Canon network support. Don't complain if you have problems with
USB or other scanners though ;-)

Louis