[CentOS] {OT] Re: Installing IMA (Integrity Measurement Architecture) on CentOS 5.5

Fri Mar 25 19:11:55 UTC 2011

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 03/25/11 11:32 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Not everything deals in transactions, though.  The recently popular
>> distributed database versions that scale up are more about doing
>> something reasonable in scenarios where you can't guarantee a
>> transaction state (where 'reasonable' is defined by the application).

Well... except that in this context, it's not only database transactions:
it's any granular interaction between client and server. You don't, for
example, want part of a form you've just clicked <submit> on to only
partly get there, if there's a network blip or whatever.

> mmm, yes, 'data maybe'.   good enough for web forums and blogs.
>
> I'm getting really annoyed when upper corporate management keeps saying
> we need to cloudify our highly transactionally intensive manufacturing
> execution system where we can't AFFORD to lose ANY data.   Of course,

#insert "wget http://executives_r_us.com/current_buzzwords.html"

(And don't get me started on the nineties, and the "p"* word!!!)
<snip>
> So, instead, we cross out 'data center' and write 'cloud' on our
> architectural diagrams, and go ahead and virtualize as much of the
> middleware layers as we can, since new hardware is so much faster than
> the older hardware the middleware was designed to run on (hey, 8 vmware
> esxi boxes running 50 Linux VMs is a cloud, right?)

Why, did you think it wasn't?

         mark

* Paradigm, as in, "the new flavor toothpaste of spearment instead
     of peppermint is a New Paradigm!!! and will (dare I say it)
     Change the World As We Know It!!!!!!"