[CentOS] Remote-logging nginx? (or other non-syslog-enabled stuff)

Fri Mar 25 19:51:46 UTC 2011
Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com>

on 09:08 Fri 25 Mar, Lamar Owen (lowen at pari.edu) wrote:
> On Thursday, March 24, 2011 06:52:24 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> > Right, and the general solution also generalizes to other tools.
> > Postgresql (which we aren't using currently) also has its own log
> > handler (a small frustration of mine with the database).
>
> PostgreSQL has had syslog support since version 7.x, with programmable
> facility information in /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf.  It's
> commented out by default; looking at a C4 server that has 7.4.30:
> #syslog = 0                     # range 0-2; 0=stdout; 1=both; 2=syslog
> #syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
> #syslog_ident = 'postgres'

Good to know.

> (I don't have syslogging enabled for that box for PostgreSQL)
>
> Sometimes it's still nice to see the stdout and stderr, though.

Of course it is.  Most daemon / service utilities have the ability to
run non-detached, in debug mode.  And you can always hunt down
filedescriptors and nasty stuff like that, but devs of such abominations
should be hauled out and shot.  Or bribed with beer until they do
provide the requisite foreground + stdout/stderr functionality.

> And I don't recall when or if remote support was added; 7.4 was the
> last version I actively maintained the RPMs for, and the 8.x databases
> I have running aren't using syslog.

If there's syslog support, rsyslog or syslogng can handle the remote
aspect.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power