[CentOS] My new server

Sat Mar 26 13:04:35 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I bought a very cheap server yesterday -
> an HP ProLiant micro server for 160 euro
> (280 euro with 120 cashback, for some reason).
>
> But I was surprised when I opened the box
> to find it didn't come with keyboard or mouse,
> and doesn't have the old keyboard/mouse sockets,
> but requires USB versions.
> Is that the norm nowadays?
> Is it possible to convert the old keyboard/mouse plugs?
>
> Also there is no CD drive.
> But there are extensive instructions (on a CD!)
> about how to instal RHEL-5.5.
>
> I'm not complaining, just surprised.
> I got it as a fall-back for my aging server.
> The ProLiant is incredibly quiet, at least by comparison.
>
> One last thing - there is only one ethernet socket.
> This surprised me a little,
> as I can't see how it can be used as a server,
> without adding a second ethernet input?
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Many servers, big or small (cheap or expensive) only come with USB
ports, for quite some time now. Probably since you often don't leave
the keyboard/mouse plugged into it.

USB keyboard / mice are very cheap and USB KVM's are also very common nowdays.

One NIC doesn't mean it's not a server. In fact, two NIC's doesn't
make a server either. But, if you want a router / gateway / firewall,
then you can simply add another NIC if you need to.

For 160 euros it's not a bad price, but you can't expect the same
features as a more expensive one either.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com