[CentOS] updating without rebooting

Sun Mar 27 11:56:19 UTC 2011
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 06:59:26AM -0400, Robert Heller wrote:
> Yes, you only *need* to reboot to pick up a new kernel.  Unlike
> MS-Windows, none of the other updates *require* a reboot.  Note: if

Warning, though: there's a big difference between *need* and *should*.

> glibc (or other widely used shared libraries) is updated it (they)
> won't get picked up unless *ALL* of the processes that use it (them)
> are restarted.

Other changes may only take effect once a reboot occurs.  In other cases
you may end up with some programs using new setting and others using
old settings (eg tzdata; if you've just had a new daylight-savings rule
change then updating your tzdata rpms will cause newly started programs
to use the new rules, but old programs to still use the old).  It's not
just limited to glibc.

So, depending on the packages being updated, I normally _recommend_ a
reboot.  But, being a sensible OS, you can reboot at the time of your
choosing, not at patch time :-)

--

rgds
Stephen