[CentOS] Corporate support for CentOS

Sun Mar 27 12:36:02 UTC 2011
Ian Murray <murrayie at yahoo.co.uk>

> What makes you think CentOS is not willing to be commercially sponsored?
> (Or only work developing CentOS?)
>
> I would LOVE to be able to do CentOS as my only job.
>
> No one that we know of is willing to pay a full time salary for 1 or 2
> or 3 people to develop CentOS.  If they would pay for it, we would
> likely do it.
>
> They might be willing for us to let their current employees do some
> CentOS things ... but not willing to pay for CentOS development.

Sorry, that was just my impression from previous posts. I guess I have that wrong. Maybe I am confusing the reluctance to take donations at the moment with commercial sponsorship. Thanks for correcting me.

Couple of questions, then....

What is the average current time commitment per week, i.e. man hours that is currently volunteered by the core developers?

What would that need to increase to, to significantly reduce release times (which I think was the overall goal)?

What would the *market rate* be for the skills required? Just to give a rough figure to work with and shouldn't be related to any particular person's current day job.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.