[CentOS] Virtualization platform choice

Sun Mar 27 12:53:45 UTC 2011
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

> Any experience with the free "VMware vSphere Hypervisor"?. (It was
> formerly known as "VMware ESXi Single Server" or "free ESXi".)
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/overview.html
>
> I would need a tutorial about that... For example, does that run without
> a host OS? Can it be managed only via Win clients? Issues with CentOS
> 4/5 guests (all my systems are currently CentOS 4/5).

vSphere ESX(i) is good product. It runs on bare metal so there is no
OS underneath it. ESX has a linux based environment that sort of runs
at the hypervisor level that people use for basic admin but VMware is
trying to phase that out as most everything you can do with ESX's
"console" can be done through ESXi's API's and the remote CLI.

Only downside to the free version is certain API's are unavailable and
if you need those features you may have to go to a paid version.

--
Drew

--Marie Curie