[CentOS] Virtualization platform choice

Sun Mar 27 21:21:45 UTC 2011
David Brian Chait <dchait at invenda.com>

> It's interesting that nobody so far mentioned openVZ or its commercial
> version, Virtuozzo. It's different than all major virtualization players
> (it's OS level virtualization, not hw level), but that makes it the only
> viable option for things like mass web hosting solutions.

> Try it out and see if it fits your requirements.

The two things that always comes to mind when I am considering a virtualization solution is extent of tool set/support, and the general acceptance of the technology. For those two reasons I nearly always implement VMware, it has a mature set of tools, a wide range of functionality, and sits at a very manageable price point. No true open source solution really comes close, you can approximate parts of it, but in the end it turns into a support issue that can pose a significant headache.