[CentOS] Installing php-mcrypt

Mon Mar 28 05:26:38 UTC 2011
Ben McGinnes <ben at adversary.org>

On 28/03/11 2:33 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> It has been 6 years since I set up my Linux server and have
> hardly had to touch it in all of those years other than running
> yum update, so I ma rusty in some of the fine details (especially
> at 72).

That's not old, I've been corresponding with a 78 year-old crypto
freak on another mailing list.  ;)

> I located a source for the php-mcrypt rpm
> (php-mcrypt-5.1.6-15.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm), however, isn't there an
> easier method to get and install the appropriate rpm - other than
> downloading it then running rpm?  And when should I use yum rather
> than rpm?

Use Yum whenever possible.

One thing that is worth mentioning, though, is that php-mcrypt 5.1.x
is a little old and a lot of things which require it (e.g. a CMS like
WordPress) need 5.2 or above and higher versions of PHP.  Fortunately
these are all currently available in the CentOS Testing repository.
This is where I grabbed my versions from to get WordPress to behave
(i.e. recognise timezones).  My /etc/yum.repos.d/Centos-Testing.repo
file contains:

[c5-testing]
name=CentOS-5 Testing
baseurl=http://dev.centos.org/centos/$releasever/testing/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://dev.centos.org/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-testing
priority=5
includepkgs=php*

If you make this change you should also add "exclude=php*" to the end
of the [base] and [updates] sections of the Centos-Base.repo file.

Only include the "priority" line if you have that set in your other
.repo files (everything in my Centos-Base.repo file has a priority of
1, except for [contrib] which has a priority of 2).

There's a very good guide on how to do this properly here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PHP_5.1_To_5.2?highlight=%28php%29

I recommend following it because the chances are that your need for
installing php-mcrypt in the first place is for something that needs
at least version 5.2.

Regards,
Ben