[CentOS] cobbler installation of CentOS-5.5

Mon Mar 28 16:14:41 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 3/28/2011 10:45 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> Cobbler is kind of overkill for a single install. If you can drop the CD
>> iso images under an NFS export, boot from USB and do an nfs install
>> you'll be done before you'd have cobbler set up.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "drop the CD iso images" under NFS.

I mean download directly into a directory already exported in NFS.  Or
if they aren't already there, either export the path where they are or
copy them to one that is nfs-exported.  If you have a linux box and
aren't using nfs, that means put the directory (or something above the
one containing the files in /etc/exports and 'exportfs -a' or 'service
nfs restart'.

> In any case, I'd prefer to use cobbler, as it seems the simplest way to go,
> once it is set up,
> and I'm thinking of installing CentOS-6 later, when it arrives.

I can't think of anything much simpler than downloading to a directory
and being basically done.  Normally on a server with a CD drive I'd burn
the 1st CD to boot, but there is a small boot image that you can put on
USB to boot into the installer.  The nfs install will as for the server
(dns name or IP) and the path which will be what you exported or the
path to a subdirectory below where the iso files are.  CentOS-6 will
probably install the same way.  The installer knows how to deal with the
separate CD iso images directly.  I think you have to make an extra link
somewhere if you try to install from a dvd image over nfs.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com