[CentOS] finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]

Mon Mar 28 19:53:50 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 03/28/2011 05:59 AM Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-03-27 at 22:41 -0400, ken wrote:
>> It's been many years, but it seems that I have to receive a fax and
>> might have to send one too.  Is there a way to do this on CentOS 5.5?
>> (Hope so.)
>
> Hylafax;  has been quietly running at work, without incident, for years.
> <http://www.hylafax.org/content/Main_Page>

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I remember both of these packages
from years ago-- the last time I set up a fax.  At that time I bought an
internal modem-- not a Winmodem, one with jumpers on it to set the com
port and I believe the interrupt also.  Now, however, I'm working on a
laptop with a serial chip on the mainboard and it's a different story.

I've been reading the Serial-HOWTO, but it's a huge doc and I hope I
don't need to read this entire monograph to get the serial port set up
for the modem so that the fax software can use it.

I've run minicom to see if I can dial out with it-- to test if I have
the modem's serial port enabled and configured properly.  So far, no
joy.  Anyone have tips to set up the modem so that efax or (more likely)
hylafax can use it?

Much appreciated.