[CentOS] Virtualization platform choice

Mon Mar 28 21:23:40 UTC 2011
Warren Young <warren at etr-usa.com>

On 3/27/2011 3:07 PM, Jure Pečar wrote:

> It's interesting that nobody so far mentioned openVZ

I wouldn't use it since being bitten by its lack of swap support.

I run a couple of web sites on a fairly "heavy" web stack which loads up
a bunch of dependencies that don't actually end up being used by my
site, but because there is no swap, all that unused code eats real RAM.

Because of that, I had to upgrade to a 512 MB VPS hosting plan from a
256 MB plan.  My sites initially ran just fine under the 256 MB plan but
after adding just one feature to my sites which used one of the piggier
features in the web stack, it pushed me over the limit and I had to
upgrade.  If the VPS could use swap, I'm sure enough of the web stack
would remain swapped out that I could have continued using the 256 MB plan.

My VPS provider may find OpenVZ to be efficient than Xen, but it cost me
about 50% more in hosting fees.  That's less efficient in my book.