[CentOS] finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]

Tue Mar 29 16:47:50 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

>> ....I also have a PCMCIA slot and an old modem
>> card from a previous laptop, so that might be a better option than
>> wrestling with a winmodem.  I don't know yet....
>
> The old PCMCIA modem card might not be a fax modem.  If the laptop does
> have a "good old" DB-9 serial port connector, then going to Best Buy
> (or CompUSA, etc.) and getting something like a Creative Blaster analog
> RS232 serial modem might be also quite easy and painless.

I have a strong aversion to external peripherals dangling off a box...
looks too much like a high school science project.  And external modems
are known to get very hot.  I used one somebody gave me to keep my
coffee cup warm.  :)

That Blaster is pretty much the internal modem I had in a previous
machine I built.    Maybe I should just revive that old dog with a new
motherboard and CPU.  But hmm, I think that Blaster card needed an ISA
slot.  Don't know if new mobos have those anymore.  (?)

Robert, you're probably right all 'round.

Thanks.