[CentOS] OT: google voice + chat <- Re: finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]>

Tue Mar 29 18:17:58 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 03/29/2011 01:37 PM ken wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 01:21 PM Stephen Harris wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:08:33PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> GV has been around for years - but previously you had to get an invite
>>> from an existing user or go on a waiting list.  Now you can just sign up
>>> and get a free number which you can send where you want with/without
>>> screening and when it acts as an answering machine it transcribes the
>>> message and emails it to you.  Recent additions are that you can make
>>> (and I think answer) calls from your computer while signed in to your
>>> gmail account and if you have Sprint Cell service you can use that
>> With the right software and hardware (asterisk and an ATA) you can even
>> use the conjunction of google voice and google chat to act as a "real"
>> phone line.  Indeed I just wrote up a process :-)
>>   http://sweh.spuddy.org/gvoice/
>>
>> But I think that's getting a little off-topic :-)
>
> OT OK.  So how does this conglomeration work?  Say I have an OpenMoko
> phone (openmoko.org) and connect to google voice on the web...  can I
> talk like a human on a landline?  What phone number do the other humans
> get... to call me?
>
> ATA means....

Just read your webpage.  It answered my one question and a couple others
I didn't ask.

It's not what I'm looking for right now, but way cool enough that I'll
have to check it out anyway.  I didn't know a VoIP <-> POTS appliance
could be had for $30.  Last I checked (some years ago) just a card was
something like $1000.  How much is an actual phone number these days...
if I don't care for google voice?

Thanks much!